Monday, October 14, 2019

Day 287 of 2019

This one is for all you quilters out there. 
You know there is the big debate about washing 
or not washing fabric before putting it into a quilt.  
As you can tell by this photo, I am a washer.  
The next question then is how do you prepare your fabric before you wash it? 
Years ago I heard that if you cut the corners off before you wash, 
the result would be no raveling or at least less raveling 
and a way to tell the washed from the unwashed fabric. 
As you can see from the photo, it still ravels. 
I have done this for years. 
Today I decided to try a method that I had heard of but never tried.  
This method calls for serging the cut ends of the fabric to be washed. 
To my great surprise, the result was fabulous.  
Not only did I not get the raveling, 
but I also don't have all the tiny triangle fabric bits 
from the snipping of the corners. 
I'll definitely be trying this again 
to see if it is a better way for all situations.

1 comment: